We're celebrating our 15-year anniversary of helping people access, understand and benefit from the human genome.
23andMe Claimed Company
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the... read more
This company is accepting feedback from verified employees

23andMe Employee Reviews

Out of 590 23andMe employee reviews, 93% were positive. The remaining 7% were constructive reviews with the goal of helping 23andMe improve their work culture. The Admin team, with 100% positive reviews, reports the best experience at 23andMe compared to all other departments at the company. The Operations team offered the most constructive feedback, with 25% of that department's reviews constructive in nature.

Their commitment to both scientific rigor and diversity, equity, and inclusion

They are always looking for innovation

Review from HR Dept

I quite like their transparency.

Transparency and approachability, lot's of updates

Review from Engineering Dept

They are inspiring and transparent and genuinely care about employees as individuals with a life outside of work.

Review from Admin Dept

There aren't any Leadership reviews of 23andMe yet.
Be the first to contribute a review.

The stock options are appealing

Review from HR Dept

Keeping it above 50% market rate. Generous time off.

half day Fridays, two extra weeks of vacation (at least this year)

Review from Engineering Dept

Good starting salary and great benefits

Review from Admin Dept

They support a wide variety of needs.

Review from Engineering Dept

I know I'm paid less than market rate because other companies have tried recruiting me, and my raises are usually much less than keeping up with inflation. Our health care plan doubled in cost during the pandemic. And we lost out provided meals without compensation or acknowledgement of the pay cut.

I feel like I am under-leveled for the work that I do, which translates into less compensation than I should receive. While I don't know their compensation, I believe some of my peers are also under-leveled relative to their contributions to the company. We need more frequent/aggressive promotions

Review from Engineering Dept

My title doesn't reflect my role, so while the comp may be ok for the title I have, I feel like it is insufficient for my actual role. Getting this "corrected" requires approval through the promotion process, which is slow and uncertain.

I'm being paid below average for someone of my title, and to make it worse I'm notably under titled for my role and years of experience and education. This being rectified would be huge, but I've asked and only gotten platitudes and vague assurances that have never translated into concrete actions.

Review from Product Dept

Pay below industry average. Pandemic benefits were good but do not compare to other silicon valley tech companies. Annual bumps have been subpar for the past couple of years.

Review from Engineering Dept

My coworkers are what keep me working here. Everyone is intelligent, caring, passionate, and mission driven. All amazing, lovely people across the board.

The team is friendly and very helpful

Review from HR Dept

Smart, motivated, and agile team

They are supportive, understanding, smart

Culture, openness, trustful interactions, knowledgeable colleagues that I can learn from in a safe environment

Review from Engineering Dept

There is A LOT of "but that's how we've always done things" to justify overly complex processes and systems that need constant babysitting. Leading to a general reluctance towards change.

Review from Engineering Dept

We are not really a team anymore. Our managers wants us to work separately more and more and it feels like we now compete for recognition from our manager. It wasn’t always like

Review from IT Dept

My coworkers act as if they are my manager. Some of them I end up having to manage up because they are disorganized. Some of them give me tasks rudely (that they should be doing themselves) and I don't trust my manager enough to support me through this.

Review from HR Dept

Efficiency and being respectful to women

Review from Engineering Dept

Our true, actionable commitment to DEI, including celebratory cultural events as well as education. I love constantly learning!

It is a very family friendly work environment

Review from HR Dept

Great teams and coworkers internally

Again openness, transparency, learning in a safe environment. Having fun while moving fast.

Review from Engineering Dept

People care about one another

Review from Admin Dept

More thinking less strong man arguments

Review from Engineering Dept

Efficient and friendly people who conducted interviews

Review from Engineering Dept

There aren't any Interviews reviews of 23andMe yet.
Be the first to contribute a review.

For the first time I feel like people genuinely respect me for my expertise and value me as a team member.

Setting a business goal and achieving that goal

Review from HR Dept

Interacting with my coworkers and feeling like we are making a major impact

My colleages, the goals of the company to help society, what the future brings with what we do.

Review from Engineering Dept

Working with others to get the job done

Review from Admin Dept

I would say I am more stressed than excited to go to work each day. This is a reflection of the number of balls in the air/projects in flight. It's not necessarily a bad thing for me, since this stress can help me be more productive. However, I do wish I had more space to enjoy the work itself.

Review from Engineering Dept

It is all about who you know and how long you have been here. Not about teams working with teams.

Review from IT Dept

Let us work from home post-January!

150% burned out, tired, etc.

Review from Legal Dept

Feel as though I have a limited growth path, and I'm not doing work that I'm truly excited about and interested in, even though I've mentioned this work and there is interest in doing it at the company. There just isn't enough time, and some barriers.

There aren't any Outlook reviews of 23andMe yet.
Be the first to contribute a review.

There aren't any Outlook reviews of 23andMe yet.